FIRST CLASS PRE-K PARENT/GUARDIAN NOTICE
PRE-K PROGRAM APPLICATION
2017-18 SCHOOL YEAR
This application is for the 2017 -18 Mobile County Public School System First Class Pre-K selection process. This application should be used for students who will be four years old on or before September 1, 2017
BEFORE beginning the application, parents must read and agree to all the provisions listed below. For any questions regarding these provisions, contact the School-Home-Community Programs Office at 221-5218.
APPLICATIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
1. The First Class Pre-K application period is open from March 1, 2017 - March 31, 2017.
2. The application must be completed with all requested information.
3. Parents will need to have their child’s legal name, date of birth, gender, and social security number to apply. (Students who are non- U.S. citizens and do not have a SS # are issued a student number through the Office of Student Services - 221-4245. These student numbers are validated through the State of Alabama.)
Applications completed by students currently enrolled in ANY Mobile County Public School will be populated from information currently in INow. This means that information the student's current school has on file will be used in the application.
5. If selected, all students will be required to provide documentation to the selected school site validating age, address, guardianship, and social security number before receiving a contract.
6. ANY FALSIFIED INFORMATION WILL VOID THIS FIRST CLASS PRE-K APPLICATION.
7. The school system has the authority to deny or void an application for the following reasons:
o duplicate applications (Only one application per student will be accepted.)
o underage applicants (Students must be four years old on or before September 1, 2016)
o application completed by someone other than the student’s legal guardian or parents ( If one parent has legal custody, only that parent can complete the application.)
o students who do not reside in MCPSS at the time of the application.
A student must meet the following criteria:
o Demonstrate a need for education experience based on participation in the April developmentally appropriate screening
o Live in a Title I Attendance Zone
o Four years old on or before September 1, 2017
o Parents must attend scheduled parent orientation
SPECIAL EDUCATION STUDENTS
1. Special education and 504 students may participate in the pre-registration process
2. Students may be selected for Pre-K; however, it is the function of the IEP or PEP committee to determine the least restrictive environment for each student. Therefore, if the committee determines the Pre-K setting is not the least restrictive environment, the student will not be placed in the Pre-K program.
1. Please complete the online application for Pre-K, after completing the online application, take your child to any one of the testing sites listed below on the scheduled date from 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Please note the location, date and time for your future reference. They are as follows:
March3, 2017: Central Office
March7, 2017 : Burroughs Meadowlake
March9, 2017: Eichold-Mertz Taylor-White
March10, 2017: Collins-Rholdes
March14, 2017: Just4
March16, 2017: Wilmer
March21, 2017: Calcedeaver Hall
March23, 2017: Dixon
March28, 2017: Will
March30, 2017: Central Office
2. Notifications of selection status will be mailed out via U.S. Mail prior to the end of the school year
1. Upon selection please follow the pre-registration process for the selected school
2. Students placed on the waiting list may be selected at a later date
3 Students who do not meet the criteria for the developmentally appropriate screening tool "do not qualify" for the Pre-K program
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1.The legal age to enter Pre-K is four years old on or before September 1st of an academic year. Students who have not turned four by September 1st are not allowed to apply.
2.Both Eichold-Mertz and Council Traditional Magnet Schools have a pre-kindergarten class on their campus. This pre-k class is housed on the campus but IS NOT part of the magnet school program, and the students in these classes ARE NOT automatically moved to the kindergarten program at the school. Students who are in a pre-k class at either of these schools must apply to the magnet program and be selected according to the same rules and guidelines as all other students applying for kindergarten.
4.Any changes needed to be made to an application in “Submitted” or “Waiting” status can be done by the person submitting the application. Please call 221-5218 for information.
5.Transfers are not allowed for Pre-K.
- Make sure you complete the option "Grade Next Year". The box for this is located next to the social security box on the application.The grade next year MUST be completed to make the options for school choice available.
For any questions regarding these provisions, contact the School-Home-Community Programs Office at 221-5218.
Division of Academic Affairs
Mobile County Public School System
P.O. Box 180069
Mobile, AL 36618